Stone fireplaces have been around for a long time and a lot of older homes have these in them. These stone fireplaces usually take up an entire wall of the room and can be difficult to remove. Painting over them is an option to help bring them new life and to bring them into the present century to match your home decor while keeping the fireplace intact. If you have a stone fireplace that needs to be updated, read on for ways to paint your fireplace.
What You'll Need:
- Extension pole
- Paint tray
- Painter's tape
- Drop cloths
How To Get It Done:
- To start, you are going to need to clean the stone on your fireplace. Clean in between the stone along the grout where dust and dirt have settled. They could hinder the paint from adhering properly. Clean with a cleaning agent that is made for stone, and be sure to rinse away the cleaner as well.
- After the stone is completely dry, you are going to need to tape off the area that you do not want to get paint onto. You should also lay out a drop cloth to prevent paint from getting onto any areas you don't want to be painted as well.
- Begin painting the stone in between the stone along the grout. Paint the grout lines with a paintbrush if you want to paint the grout. You can use a different color to paint the grout than the stone if you prefer, but this can take a lot of time.
- Once the grout is painted, you can use the roller to paint the stone, then use the paintbrush to blend in the paint with the grout, or where the roller doesn't reach.
- Apply one single coat, then allow it to dry completely. Apply a second coat of paint if necessary, or you can leave it without full coverage for a different type of look.
Painting a stone fireplace can help bring the fireplace more up-to-date for a more modern look. Painting a fireplace can be a lot of work, especially if it was an entire wall of stone. This may also be done with a paint sprayer. If this is too much work to get this job done yourself, you should hire a professional painter to do the work for you. They have the tools and know-how to get it all done and give it the look you are trying to achieve.
For more information about residential painting, contact a local company.